I’ve been futilely trying to resist doing this post for days! But I finally couldn’t hold out any longer, so , here it is, ‘my’ music of 2009. The stuff won’t necessarily have come out this year, it’s more like, things I’ve ‘found’ this year. You can find all the tracks I pick at the bottom of the post
10. Alela Diane – I started off by just liking the , slightly creepy, album artwork on ‘The Pirate’s Gospel’ , but the songs really grew on me. The one I’ve chosen is called ‘The Rifle’.
9. Fleet Foxes – Their music is so peaceful and beautiful. The song I’ve chosen is called ‘Your Protector’ from the album ‘Fleet Foxes’.
8. Christina Coutin – She’s an indie jazzy singer who has produced some beautiful songs, I couldn’t find my favourites to post – Mulberries, and Rainy – but there is one called ‘ Bundah’, from her self-titled album, which I also like.
7. Laura Marling – The first few times I heard her music, I wasn’t that interested, but again, it grew on me, it’s a very relaxing, summery album. My favourte is ‘Tap at my Window’ from her album ‘Alas I cannot Swim’.
6. Paloma Faith – She’s not to everyone’s taste, but I love her. Her personality, her style, her music. It’s cabaret jazz at it’s best. I chose ‘Play On’ from her album ‘Do you want the Truth or something Beautiful’.
5.Bon Iver – A bit like Fleet Foxes, Bon Iver’s music is beautiful and peaceful. I really started to like him when I heard one of his songs on an episode of Skins. The song I’ve chosen – called ‘ Woods’ – is more electronic than his others, still lovely though. It’s from his EP ‘Blood Bank’.
4. Beirut – Again, not to everyone’s taste, but when I listen to his music I can imagine I’m at some folk dance in the 1800’s, and I kinda’ like that. This song I like the best is ‘Postcards from Italy’ from his album ‘Gulag Orkestar’. Florence + The Machine did a brilliant cover of it.
3. Blood Red Shoes – Drawn in by the album artwork again, but the music is really really good. One of my favourites is called ‘This is Not for You’ from their album ‘Box of Secrets’.
2. Regina Spektor – I can’t believe that I didn’t take any notice of Regina before. Her music is AMAZING! and she’s Russian (Yay!). The one I’ve chosen is probably (although I can’t really decide!) my favourite song of hers – ‘The Flowers’, it’s from her album ‘Soviet Kitsch’. I love the piano bit at the end.
1. Florence + the Machine – Of cource, my No.1 had to be Florence, cos’ she is utterly amazing. And I have fallen in love with every single song on her album. To prove it I’ve chosen ‘Blinding’ – one I wasn’t sure about at the beggining, but I now love – from her incredible album ‘Lungs’.
[gigya width=”410″ height=”311″ src=”http://assets.myflashfetish.com/swf/mp3/mixpod.swf?myid=39746984&path=2009/12/29″ quality=”high” flashvars=”mycolor=222222&mycolor2=000000&mycolor3=FFFFFF&autoplay=false&rand=0&f=4&vol=100&pat=0&grad=false” salign=”TL” wmode=”window” ]